Welcome to Marketing for Romance Writer's Firsts Blog Hop!!!

I'm so excited to be a part of this amazing event that I'm offering two prizes: 1-a copy of my latest release, Lucien, and 2-a $10 Amazon gift certificate. 
So be sure to read all the way through to the end to be entered in to the drawings... and now on with the show...

Anyone else besides me a sucker for a good Regency rake? Suave, debonair, charismatic to a distraction, and a master in the craft of seduction. A true rake of worth knows his trade well and, even better, wields the tools of his trade with confidence and controlled patience. His intelligent eyes beckon to that primal part of us which aches for something extraordinary, yet so simple words cannot describe it. That elusive essence of something that's just out of reach in our normal, every day lives. It's a yearning that society, our morals, virtue, and better judgement tells us would be folly to touch, impossible to ignore. 

Our rake is a man, simple but with depth. He knows his power and wields it in that magical way which pushes us into a world of pleasurable sensation that leaves us breathless, weak at the knees, and... firing up the search engine to Google: Working, slightly used, QA tested, time machine for sale--$9.99 or best offer.

Okay, so yeah, I Googled for a time machine. I'm weak, but who could blame me? I'm in need of a contemporary rake. A man whose voice is lethal on so many levels it should be outlawed. His words reflect his actions and slide over us, wrapping around us, making us feel special, cherished, warm, and wanted. He watches us watch him. Then he smiles, taking a step closer... and in the depths of our soul we know... we'd gladly toss aside our morals, virtue, and better judgement to play prey to his seductive predator.  

*see me fanning myself and beating back a horde of butterflies converging on my nervous system*

And now, without further adieu and to celebrate MFRW's Firsts Blog Hop, here's an excerpt from one of my favorite scenes--the first kiss--in my latest release... 

***EXCERPT***
Elise stifled a giggle and practically skipped behind Luc as he stalked a path through the cubicle farm towards his office. Raven and Moonbeam were now convinced that Luc was madly in love with her and they’d reluctantly given their blessings. All that was left was to tell her father, which wouldn’t be a problem. Her father’s motto was: If it’s what you want to do, princess, then nothing I say will change your mind. At least that’s what it would be if she got to her father before Raven did.

Luc marched into his office and Elise followed, closing the door behind her. He hadn’t said a word since leaving the restaurant. He tossed his jacket onto the sofa and pinned her with a fierce look. “What tale do you plan on weaving for your father? Will we become star crossed lovers brought together over the flames of your computer? With me rescuing you from the billowing flames of the desktop?”

Elise beamed at him. “Daddy doesn’t need a tale. He’ll stare at you for a while and probably tell you fifty ways he can kill a man with a tie, but he’ll give his blessing.”

“Forgive me, darlin’, if I don’t believe you.”

“You’re just mad because you had to tell a little white lie.”

“A little white lie? Elise, you have Raven and Moonbeam believing that our marriage is a fairy tale romance.” He cursed under his breath, ran a hand through his hair, and started to turn away. “No dammit, this is not okay,” he ground out and advanced on her.

Elise flattened her back against the door as Luc trapped her, pressing his palms against the cool wood on either side of her head. She’d never seen him like this. He was seething. “Um, Luc, I, uh—”

He lowered his head until they were nose to nose. “I don’t like little white lies, Elise. I don’t like hearing them and I especially don’t like delivering them.”

“But it was—”

“There will be no more scenes like today, Elise.”

She’d never noticed until now, but there was a hint of gold in his gray-ish eyes. “It was more of an embellishment and—”

“Elise,” he warned and the gold in his eyes flickered like an unholy flame. “No more.”

“I only did it because Moonbeam would do anything in her power to stop me from committing, what in her opinion would be, relationship suicide. And if Raven knew why, he’d kill me.”

“After he killed me.” Luc groaned and rested his forehead against his arm. “Damn, Elise, all I want to do is marry you. Why does your family have to question my motives? And my feelings,” he said derisively.

She relaxed somewhat, which was hard considered that he was invading her personal space and she was enjoying it more than she should be. “They love me and they want to make sure I’m making the right decision. Your family would do the same thing.”

He gave a short bark of laughter. “You don’t know my family. When I told my mother, she was more concerned with throwing the social event of the season and changing the names on the programs.” He turned his head to tell her, “By the way, you’re supposed to have dinner with Mom and the sisters tonight.”

“Tonight? What time?”

“Whatever time they get here. You’ll be on your own until seven. Mom said she needs your measurements.”

“What? Alone?” Her body tingled from the heat and proximity of his chest. “Why,” she asked breathlessly. She made the mistake of turning her head and found herself scant centimeters from his mouth.

“For the dress,” he replied softly. His gaze dropped to her mouth.

Her tongue darted out, moistening her lips. “What dress?”

“The wedding dress,” he whispered. “Do that again.”

“Do what?” A slow ache of tension built in the pit of her stomach. Her arms grew heavy and her knees threatened to buckle. Her breathing quickened and her fingers twitched to touch him.

“Lick your lips.” His voice turned husky, rasping deliciously against her skin.

She complied and he moved closer.

“Touch me,” he ordered raggedly.

“Luc, I—”

“Touch me.”

Her hands lifted and she cautiously slid her fingers up his chest to wide, powerful shoulders. She was trembling with excitement, fear, and anticipation.

“No more scenes, Elise.” One hand skimmed down then up her side while the other moved across her shoulder, sifting through her hair and caressing her neck. His hand, strong and warm, cupped her face and his attention flickered to her mouth then back to her eyes. “No more scenes.”

Her hands flexed on his shoulders, her nails digging into the cotton fabric of his shirt. “It was just an embellishment,” she breathed as he drew closer.

Her lashes drifted shut and she shivered as his lips tentatively touched hers. Lights exploded in her mind as his tongue danced across her bottom lip, tasting and teasing her into opening for him. She sighed and leaned in towards him. His fingers dug into her hair, tilting her head to the side, and he kissed her. His lips moved against hers, his tongue dueled with hers. He devoured her, demanding everything she had and she gave him all.

She felt him groan and his hand moved down to catch her waist, pulling her up hard against him. Her insides turned to liquid and poured into the center of her body. Her body was awake and tingling. Everywhere. Her breasts were crushed against his hard chest and they ached. She gripped the shoulders of his shirt, wanting nothing more than to rip the crisp, white cotton off him.

Never in her life had anyone kissed her like this. Kissed her with such hunger and need and… urgency. She was starving and couldn’t get enough. Blood roared in her ears and her heart felt as if it would pound out of her chest. Her palms grew sweaty, her knees buckled, and Luc was there to catch her. His arm came around her waist, pulling her harder against him until she could feel his body’s response pressing into her stomach.

Thunder echoed in the distance and muffled whistles shrilled in the background. She whimpered and moved her hands around his neck, threading her fingers through the soft hair brushing the collar of his shirt. All too soon she felt Luc draw back, ending the kiss as breathless as her. His eyes burned and she knew the heat in his gaze was reflected in hers. She’d never wanted any man the way she wanted him at this very moment.

“Luc,” she whispered, slightly confused and disoriented.

He pressed her cheek to his chest and rested his chin on the crown of her head. “The next time you start to seduce me make sure the blinds are closed. The whole damn office saw us.”

Elise groaned and tried to burrow closer. “I did not start to seduce you, Lucien. You’re always trying to seduce me.”

“Darlin’, if I’d started to seduce you, I’d have made damn sure the blinds were closed.

* * * 

I hope you enjoyed that excerpt and today's blog hop extravaganza! Don't forget to enter into the drawing by commenting, tweeting, liking me on Facebook, or following me on Twitter. The MFRW hop runs from Feb 10-13, so pass the word on and until next time... happy reading!

Comments

bams1980 said…
God its so hard to choose just one thing that makes me want to find a rake of my own...I guess if I had to, it would be for him to focus soley on my pleasure which in turn would increase his! That for me is the is the key to being a rake. I really enjoy reading your books, so keep up the good work and keep 'em coming!! Anxiously awaiting for more!
Kayelle Allen said…
Love this! Lucien sounds wonderful...
Anonymous said…
*waves* Hello fellow hopper. Spicy excerpt.
bidelia78@yahoo.com
Rue Allyn said…
I've already found the love of my life, so I don't need a rake. Your excerpt is terrific.
laurie said…
Love this! Lucien sounds wonderful...

parisfan_ca@yahoo.com
Unknown said…
I can't say exactly what it is that draws me to rakes, at least in my reading habits. There's of course, their charisma, arrogance, confidence and skill, but it seems like there is always something unique about them, something that makes it hard to resist them. :D
celina k said…
I could use a good fictional rake! I think it's the domineering arrogance..couldn't handle it in real life, I would kill him, but in fiction it's the best!
Unknown said…
That was really good. It had my heart racing. Wonderful closing line. That's my favorite part of rakes, their lines. Their confidence is one of the most attractive things about them.
Jennifer Irving said…
Can I read the rest of yet now/??? *swoon*
Anonymous said…
I don't usually trust Regency rakes, but I have to admire the way they keep us all on our toes!

vitajex(at)aol(Dot)com
I have to admit to a yearning for some of the formalities and expectations of earlier times. Men used to show respect for a woman, ask her for a date, woo her. We have lost so much of that today in our fast paced ADD society. It is a shame that women accept this lack of expectations. (Man, oh man do I ever sound old..lol)

Perhaps this is at least in part why regency is so well loved. Women long to be wooed. Thanks for the great post, Elijana

Warm regards,
Christine London
Mer said…
The best thing about regency rakes are the ladies who reform them! I like their style, confidence, and attitude, and knowing that deep down there's a heart waiting to be found.

dancingcelt at gmail dot com
wanda f said…
Found my rake 20 years ago I grabbed him and held on lol.Having a great time on this hop.
Melissa Limoges said…
That was a great excerpt. Definitely will have to check this book out. :)
Elijana Kindel said…
Ohmigoodness, I know exactly what you mean, bams1980! How can I choose just one thing when there are so many... oh yes, their focus and attention to, um, details is what makes a good rake IMHO scrimp-diddle-E-icious. lolololo
Aww, thanks so much for the words on my books! I love writing them for you to read. I've got so many stories to tell I'm hoping to have you happy and reading for many years to come. ;-) On deck right now are 2 books... a historical and a contemporary. I'll post some good info on what's coming up soon and with some excerpts. *yum* lol

Thanks for stopping by the hop!
Elijana Kindel said…
Kayelle!!! (((HUGS))))
Thanks so much for stopping by and HUGE Thanks for everything you and the rest of the folks at MFRW-org have done to put on this awesome hopping extravaganza! You're da best!
Elijana Kindel said…
Hey there fellow hopper! So glad you swung by! Ooooh yeah, spicy excerpt, le yum. I love those--hehehe. I'm loving the hop-a-thon, how about you?
Elijana Kindel said…
Rue, I'm jealous. So jealous. Happy for you, yes.. most definitely yes, but soooooo jealous. Okay, now I have to ask... is it true what they say about reformed rakes making the best husbands?
Please say yes. It gives me hope for a bright future. ;-)

Thanks for the comment on the excerpt--it was so much fun to write and... even better to imagine. lol
Elijana Kindel said…
Yay, Laurie! So glad you could make it by and that you enjoyed the excerpt! Lucien was both a pain and a hoot to imagine/write. The painful part mostly had to do with letting Elise have him. lol, yeah, I agree I've got issues... but they're so much fun I just ca't bring myself to get rid of them. lol

Thanks for stopping by and have a great time at the hop!
Elijana Kindel said…
So true, Ana, so true! For me it's the intensity they radiate and the intelligence--that's an absolute must. I mean he has to be intelligent enough to "attempt" to out maneuver us strong females, doesn't he? It's like a game of chess played out on a velvet covered chess board with pieces filled with the most exquisite tasting champagne... one sip is temptation in itself, but more than one...? That's when it gets tricky.
la, can you tell I've been thinking about this long and hard lately? lol!
Thanks so much for dropping by the hop and good luck in the drawing!
Elijana Kindel said…
Celina, I have to tell you... all day yesterday I was studying for an exam--I think I friend my brain with it--then as I was walking into class to take it... I got your message and busted out laughing. LMSAO @ "I would kill him". So first up, huge thank you for lightening my mood before the exam I'd been dreading all week long.

Oooooh, fictional rakes... I've got one for ya... hold on, let me find my favorite line from that book (it's one my rough drafts in progress ones so brb...) okay, here's the setup, it's a Regency... Lady Daphne at the opera and fleeing from an unwanted suitor dashes out and into what she believes is her carriage and away we go... mooohahahahaha.....

“Delightful, a lady with backbone. Your husband is a lucky man.” His voice was touched with cynicism.
“I am not—” She snapped her mouth shut. “That, sir, is none of your business.”
“I am afraid it is, my dear. Because your husband shall undoubtedly learn of this tête-à-tête in our… less than public surroundings and I shall have to face him on the field of honor.” He leaned forward and slowly revealed his features. “Tell me, my dear, are you looking forward to becoming a widow?”
Daphne stared. She was shocked to her toes. Her blood evaporated in her veins. Her heart ceased hammering. Her breath clogged in her throat. Her mouth grew dry. He was the embodiment of the man of her dreams. Physically beautiful. His mouth was firm with bold, sensuous, wholly sinful lips. His cheekbones were high, lending him a slightly exotic look. His eyes were almond shaped crowned by strong, arched brows. A thick wave of dark hair fell across his forehead. From the shadows of her hooded cloak, her eyes drank in the strength and power emanating from the broad shoulders underneath the dark broadcloth of his jacket.
She licked her parched lips. Her husband didn’t have a prayer’s chance of besting this man.
A sensual smile lit his features. “I am pleased the prospect of becoming a merry widow sits well with you, my dear. Once I have dispensed with your ill-suited partner, you will atone my inconvenience by pleasuring me with your company in a more… stable surrounding.”
Her eyes widened and she swallowed. What was she thinking? She didn’t have a husband. “Stop the carriage,” she whispered in a choked voice. “Now.”
He gave a small shake of his head. “I think not.” He eased back against the seat. “We are in a less than desirable section of Town, my dear. I would fear your safety if you were put out here.”
“Get out of my carriage.”
“Tsk, tsk. I thought we had dispensed with that nonsense. This,” his hand swept the breadth of the enclosed quarters, “is mine.”


And that, my dear darling readers is your first taste of one of my upcoming rakes... Lord Leighton. hehe, hope you enjoyed it!
Elijana Kindel said…
Viola! Welcome to the hop abd thanks for stopping by!
I'm so glad you enjoyed the excerpt. ;-) On their confidence... Ohmigoodness, ain't that the truth? It's addicting. Now if we could just bottle that and sell it as a cologne... oooh, we'd be set for life with cabana boys (and I use that term loosely, hehe) a plenty to go around. ;-)
Elijana Kindel said…
Yes, yes, yes! That's what I wanna hear! lol, hugs to Jenn and welcome to the EK BFF club! I'm so glad you enjoyed the excerpt! I'm crossing my fingers for you that you're name is pulled from the raffle drawing so you can get a copy!
Elijana Kindel said…
VitaJex, I so totally get that. Trust is an integral component to any relationship. Along with respect (and in my world, chemistry as well). (Actually, one day that might be a class I teach about chemistry, trust and respect and how to use those elements to build a plot... but that's later and this is today.)

To be honest if I were to meet a rake in person I don't know if I would trust him either, but I would hazard a guess that I'd enjoy the heck out of watching him scramble to earn my trust... lol.

Thanks for stopping by the hop and I hope you enjoyed your stay!
Elijana Kindel said…
Karen!! (((HUGS))) Thanks so much for stopping by! MFRW rocks and everyone's done a great job to pull off this hop in such a short time. I'm amazed by what incredible things can happen when a dedicated team comes together with vision, passion, and a driving need to get great stories out there. Amazed, humbled, in awe... it's an honor to be part of it--it really is. ;-)
Elijana Kindel said…
Yay, Tina! I'm so glad you're enjoying the hop! MFRW is putting together a bunch more hops this year with different genre/subgenre themes, so if you're on the hunt for a new author to try from a different genre... be sure to come back and check us out. Or better yet... before the hop is over, perhaps one of the fantabulous MFRW hop coordinators can hook us up with a hop announcement site so we can get the word out... I'm sure it exists, but I don't have it on me and my brain is friend/fried (lol, me and the new keyboard are arguing about spell check today) so even if I were to type it, I'd probably get it wrong. lol

Thanks again for stopping by!
Elijana Kindel said…
Wow, Christine, you took the words right out of my mouth. And personally, I don't think you sound old. You sound like me and I'm no where near old. Sure I might be 29 for the **th time this year, but I completely agree with you.

It's weird though, when I think about all the things that society expects women nowadays to take care of it almost feels like because we take care of so much that it's changed the dynamics of the male-female relationship... to the point that maybe some men have lost that alpha/confident edge we crave to woo us and that we see in the historical novels.

I don't know. But I have to tell you that every day I talk to my middle school daughter and what it means to respect herself and others. And about expectations--lol, I call it me teaching her how to dominate her world, not mine. ;-) But more than that... I do my best to practice what I preach to be a role model to her. It's not easy, but hey... it's a start. ;-)

Thanks so much for stopping by the hop and for the thought provoking comment! I love it when words make me think!
Elijana Kindel said…
Thanks, Jenna! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! And thanks for stopping by at the hop!
Elijana Kindel said…
Ohmiword, Mer, you're so totally right. We ladies--um, I mean those wonderful heroines in the stories we love to read make reading the Demise of a Well Formed Rake utterly delicious. And getting past that charming almost bad boy exterior to find the heart of gold underneath... that is a journey I love to take a 1000 times over in book after book.

Thanks so much for the comment and good luck in the drawing!
Elijana Kindel said…
Twenty years! That's wonderful, Wanda! Congratulations! Oooooh, I love hearing about happily ever afters in real life! They give me such hope. *le sigh*

Okay, now for the important part... you and Rue have got to share your secret on how you scored your rakish gent. Was it a setup, blind date, Fate, kismet, or frying pan to head... Cause I'm open to suggestions on how to seal the deal for myself--once I find one, that is. ;-)
Elijana Kindel said…
Yay, Melissa! Thank you and I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Oh and btw, your wonderful comment has scored you a spot in the EK BFF club... no worries, there are no dues, no required duties, responses, terms o' conditions... the EK BFF club has none of that. It's just a be yourself, join in the fun, and enjoy the ride... lol.
Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed MFRW's hop extravaganza!
Veronica said…
Only like them in fiction, but it is definitely their own unwavering self-confidence that is incredibly attractive!

bn100 said…
that he's alpha
Unknown said…
There is nothing sexier than a man who exudes confidence...except perhaps...no, no, I'll keep that to myself! LOL

Loved the excerpt!
LKF said…
Loved this and this excerpt. Wow I need to read more.
Thanks for sharing
Lynda
Shadow said…
Sounds great! Thanks for sharing! And thanks for the awesome hop and giveaway!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com
Sandy said…
Was absent from my computer during the hop, hence this late entry -- but I did want to visit everyone. I have to say I loved that last line! Great excerpt, and wishing you all success.

Popular Posts