WIPS, Chains, and the Words that Bind Us--Um, I mean My Author

I've got maybe 15 minutes to get this psychobabble of a post written and published.  So hang on tight. It's gonna be a bumpy ride (and probably riddled with lots of semicolons, because apparently when mercury goes into retrograde in virgo, I tend to boycot the apostrophe in favor of the semicolon--Go figure.).

Tonight, I updated my WIPs page.  If you haven't checked it out, the link to it is at the top of this page. As I was updating it, I thought to myself... wow, I sure do look like I'm all over the place here and it looks like I am diluting (or should I say deluding? hmm, decisions, decisions) my writing mojo-jojo. And no, I'm probably not making any sense, right now. But it's okay--my brain is going a million miles a minute right now, which is cool for me, but sucks to be y'all reading my psychobabble.

Okay, so back to my point... Yes, I do have a lot of books on the WIPs page. No, I'm not writing on all of them at the same time. Funny thing about these WIPs is that I wrote most of them more than 10 years ago and had no clue that I was... how do I put this... well, as a natural born pantster (can we say that I'm an Aries and impatient is my middle name?)... these stories just poured out of me over the course of a couple of years and... it took me this long to figure out that I had a tendency to write books that were connected in some form or fashion. Actually, it took me getting slapped upside the head with a comment from a friend about the stories being connected for me to realize that I had a contemporary series that just tingles with some romantic suspense-like action. (Did y'all hear me mutter, "Huh, go figure?" to that one?)

But what am I working on?  It depends on what I'm doing at the moment. If I'm at work at the mundane job and doing the mad scientist routine in the hood... then I'm plotting, world building, and day dreaming/watching scenes play out in the Tales of WOE (gotta say that I am loving those sexy elves). If I'm washing the dishes or scrubbing the toilet, then I'm writing posts (bet you didn;t see that one coming--and oh look, there's a semicolon). If I'm sitting at my daughter's karate class, then it's off to day dreaming (and note taking) for my kunoichi heroine and infusing some adamantium (do I have time to get the dictionary to check the spelling of that word--um, no, so I guess that leaves us with the oh-so-tasteful task of sounding it out--excellent!) in her back bone as she strives to do the dutiful daughter routine by marrying into the enemy's family then delivering her father's revenge in The Dragon's Katana.  And when it's in the early morning hours when I won;t (semincolon alert! told you I was boycotting the apostrophe) be interrupted by a cry for Mommy or a phone ringing or work or other responsibilities... then I'm immersed in the emotions of  Honorable Obsession and weaving in the series points into the drafts as they are.

And still with all of this, I have more WIPs. So what's up with them? On the Maitland family series, I have 4 different beginnings to the whole series. Four? Yep, I've got four in there. And each beginning has a different tone. Why? Because I could. And I wanted to see which version of the family saga worked best for me and the muse. I think I have stumbled upon the one that--and I got the notes out for the series beginning. So can I get a woot for that one? (WOOT!) Then we go to Marilyn's Trace... ohmiword, poor Marilyn who is Scarlet O'Hara reincarnated. Poor thing muttered a phrase and tempted the Fates in Emily's Affair and... well, the word doomed springs to mind when I think of what happens to the poor girl while on her hands and knees hemming a wedding dress just moments before the bride (who is not Marilyn) is supposed to walk down the aisle. Mwahahhahahahahahahahahaha. Evil, thy name is me. ;-)

Oh and how could I forget the Chronicles of P.S.S.T.? I've got the characters and they rock. But for the life of me, I cannot figure out what the first paranormal issue is that they're gunning for is... I mean I can see it, but it hasn;t quite coagulated in my demented mind, yet. Mostly because it's rather twisted and bizarre. Which should be no surprise coming from me.

So there you have it. In a nut shell. Me and my WIPs. And why I have so many of them.
Now, if only there was more time in the day so I could write on them... hmmm, I'd have more time if I were travelling at the speed of light, now wouldn't I? Oh dear goodness, NOoooooooooooooo Absolutely not. I'm drawing the line here. In concrete. Because I refuse to add a Sci-Fi WIP to this list. Okay, maybe next year. After I get through with the current WIP list. hehe

Until next time, when hopefully I will have signed a peace treaty with the Dread Pirate Apostrophe...
~EK

Comments

Anonymous said…
LOL, your blog is so timely for me. Gotta get those edits done but my mind drifts to other things. My fingers itch to work on a different WIP. My head is ready to explode from trying to delete that, seems, be, was, had, blah blah blah.

You made me smile this morning. Your work here is done:)

Boone
Sandra Allan said…
Good one! Yup there are a few personalities swimming in that head of yours girl! See, I'm full of !!! today! LOL!
Elijana Kindel said…
Hooray! I am not alone in the insanity! (Notice my usage of the Oh-So-Excitable Dread Pirate Exclamation Point. ;-)

Boone--Believe it or not, after I posted my psychobabble-E rant, I felt motivated to write up a list and prioritize the WIPs... (did I just hear a gasp from the peanut gallery?) yeah, I know this probably means that the Apocolypse is well and truly upon us... but it's all good because... I made you smile with my psychobabble! Woot! Yeah, me!

Sandra--Yeah, I think you're right. One day I'll graduate to the synchronized swimming event, but for now... we're playing Marco... POLO... oooh and there went another voice, I think he belongs to that other WIP that I didn't put on the list. Oh dear, I better go hunt him down... lol, right after I give the dog a bath. ;-)

Take care and happy writing!
~EK and the Swim Team

Popular Posts