See Elijana Hating Revision Land

Okay, so the title is misleading. I don't hate revision-land... I loathe it. Which is definitely a better way of saying it when you're on speaker phone with your critique partner and ranting up a storm when all of a sudden you blurt out... I loathe revision-land! And naturally, since I'm on speaker phone, the iPhone works its magic and loathe becomes love and the conversation is ended with a prompt, Glad to hear that--now go write the damn book! 


Aaargh.


So see me now in the middle of the most painful revision I've ever had to do--Lucien's book and his family of manipulating Masters. I've re-scripted this plot (see me counting in the air and erring on the conservative side) a good dozen or more times. Each time those annoying pesky characters-I-love-to-hate played me for a fool and tricked me into believing they had ulterior motives for their true motivations.

Double aargh.

If only they were tangible and standing right in front of me (right now), I'd slap the living crap out of of them. Repeatedly. Over and over. Until my hand started throbbing and I was the one crying mercy while they laugh at me.

Because you know they're laughing at me. Hard.

But, hey, it's okay. I'm making progress. Revisions are up to 54,573 words.  And the Setup is redone--so that's the first 10%, right? Right. I've moved into Stage 2 and the Change of Plans (woot!). It's painful, yes, but so worth every minute. (At least I keep telling myself that--especially when I keep reading back and see--really see--how much stronger the characters are and how much I want to throttle them because they're so...durned... manipulative. I only hope readers see the same thing I do--and a few laughs here and there as well. ;-)

When will I be done with it? Well, I have no travel plans this week (hallelujah!). Made it to the grocery store and stocked up on essentials (Dr. Pepper, bread, peanut butter, jelly, chips... I'm good). So I'm thinking it shouldn't be much longer. Especially if I keep clicking the phone to vibrate and leaving it in the other room while I'm working. And disconnecting from email (yep, went special notice for most of my loops so I can focus on getting this done) and the internet--except for the bare essentials.

And on that note... *poof* I'm off to put the nose back to the grind stone and skidaddle back to my writing lair for another round of loathing. (Red Bull, don't fail me now--I want to make it the Point of No Return before I change my mind and run for the hills.)

Until next time... wish me luck!
~Elijana

Comments

Popular Posts