Rantings on Establishing a Pre-Published Author's Platform

Last night, I made a decision. (Woohooo and there was much rejoicing!) Um, Yeah. Okay. Whatever.

Back to my ranting tangent... the thing was I had one of those moments where I'm sitting there thinking about my career path as a writer and--*ding*--oh look another email with yet another blog post that talks about... blog presence, social media, twitter me this, facebook me that, like me here, like me there, writing craft, book review, promo this, promo that, the state of the publishing industry... and somewhere in there, I just sort of snapped. (Sort of?) Okay, I confess. I snapped. (There. Does that make you happy, you harpy of an internal editor living in the golden palace conveniently furnished by my demented mind?)

And before anyone gets the idea that I'm an advocate of no promo types of discussion for social media or industry discussions, you couldn't be further from the truth. I think those types of discussions are great. I mean, there's a tremendous amount of dissemination of information that helps me in more ways that I can ever repay. Perhaps in this case, help isn't quite the right word. Opens my mind to a different perspective? Hmm, yeah, that'll do. For now.

I snapped mentally, because... well, according to Myers-Briggs I am an INTJ--with some serious emphasis on the I for introvert.  Oh, it's not that I'm a wall flower who runs and hides at the first sign of social contact--oh no, I can handle the social contact. That part of the social interaction thing is a given considering the lessons drummed into me back home in Virginia about Southern hospitality by the matriarchs of my family (and trust me, there were quite a few of them--lessons and matriarchs). But even though I've got that whole Southern thang going on, I'm still an introvert who is more comfortable playing in my mind than I am with others. 

So yeah, what does this have to do with me snapping mentally?

Because it (the build your platform, self publish, the big 6 in NY are goners or soon-to-be goners, tweet this, retweet that, facebook me this--argh!) is overwhelming and requires premeditated, yet spontaneous interaction with people I don't know. About subjects that I may or may not be an expert on, ignorant of, passingly familiar with---oh and don't forget how my comments may or may not be received.  I mean, how many folks reading this blog have ever been misunderstood and blasted before you even have a chance to finish the first sentence you started? And try defending your comment in less than 200 characters' strings? *sigh* Not that this has ever happened to me, but the possible endpoints that can happen from what begins as an innocent quest to obtain a web presence can turn deadly. In a flurry of twitter posts that get morphed and twisted faster than a rumor in a girls' high school locker room.

As if that isn't enough to keep me up at nights... toss in another dose of argh, because thinking over this conundrum also interfered with my writing time--this week and last week.  And THAT is bad. Oh so very bad. Intolerable for me and those poor souls who deal with me around the homestead, because it makes me grumpy and irritable. Grrrrrr.

Look, I know I'm ranting. Hey, it's my blog, I can do that. But my main problem with all of this information dissemination is that there isn't one right way to establish a platform for a pre-published author. And YES there is a LOT of great advice out there. But there isn't one--oh wait--yeah, there is ONE serious rule that should (IMHO) be observed by all pre-published folks out there and that is... before you can brand a product, you gotta have a product. But beyond that basic principle, there is no set way of creating a platform. It's different for each person. And I'm here to tell ya that if you try to apply all the words o'wisdom that trickle down through emails, blogs, tweets, facebook, et cetera... you may just find yourself in imminent danger of snapping and failing.  (Anybody else hear that ominous voice say, "Failure is not an option."--Okay, maybe it was just me. Doubtful, but hey, stranger things have occurred.)

I don't know about you, but failure is not an option for me. I've invested a tremendous amount of time, energy, heart, mind, body, and soul into making it this far on my journey to publication. And I'll be damned if I throw it all away because of one miscalculated tweet that began in the name of pre-published author web presence building. Or even worse... presenting myself to the world as the extrovert that I am soooooo naturally not. LOL--like I could carry that one on longer than the length of one Tupperware party from hell.


And on that note... my platform is to be me. And the me that I truly am wants to say... thank you, my dear readers, for enduring my rantings. I always appreciate your comments and thoughts and well wishes. I respect your right to be an introvert and lurk--just as much as I enjoy your comments. You can follow me on twitter if you like, but just know that I'll tweet when I have something to share.  But until then, I'm headed off to work on my product.  Once that product is done... then we can talk branding.

Until then... wait! So you know, I've got a hankering to start talking about my Tales of WOE world and the writing of the first book that (IMHO) is aptly named Deus Ex Machina.  So be sure to check back and nag me to give you a glimpse into this world of elves that somehow has managed to merge itself into our very own world.  So until then...

Take care and happy musings!
~EK's author

Comments

I started my website/blog when I started writing poetry seriously -- five or six years ago -- because I wanted a place to showcase my writing, and to send folks who wanted to get a sense of what I wrote. I hadn't intended to blog, but since I was naive about setting up websites, I asked one of my sons to set it up. He'd used wordpress, so I ended up with a blog, too. Far be it from me to leave the poor thing lonely and unloved, so I started blogging. Right now I do a lot of author interviews and guest posts.
Elijana Kindel said…
LOL on leaving the blog lonely! I love this idea. It's one that I'm motivating myself to embrace. ;o) I just checked out your blog and it looks great! Your poetry is fantastic!
Suzanne Johnson said…
Argh. Platform. As another INTJ, I'd rather sit in my little office and pound away on the keyboard. And pre-pubbed makes it harder. Can't promote what isn't available, really. I enjoy blogging but between the blogging and Ye Olde Day Jobbe and "special projects" I insanely volunteer for thinking it will "help my platform," well...when do I write? Off to blog now... :-)
Rachel Firasek said…
Suzanne and I share very common lifestyles when it comes to writing, jobs, and all the rest. I don't necessarily blog to sale, but I do blog to brand. I respond to blogs to brand and learn. Starting before I was published, really made the road easier once I was published. Keep trudging on girl, it'll help! Promise.
perisquire30 said…
I SOOOO hear you on this! I haven't a clue what I am according to Myer's-Briggs, but I know that when it comes to thoughts of self-promotion---I'd rather have an evil twin handle it. LOL! I'm pre-pubbed and planning on launching a blog, etc. within the next few months. Maybe once I dip my toes in I'll enjoy it...you know what they say, "fear of the unknown"...
Great rant!

~Roni Lynne
YA Adventures in the Paranormal...and Beyond!
Elijana Kindel said…
Woohoooo! INTJ's Unite! (See me doing my impression of a wonder twin and totally dating myself.)
Suzanne, have you been reading my personal journal that is hidden in that cubby hole in the garage so my 9 year old won't get to it? ;o) Because you just hit the nail on the head with the volunteering for special projects and what-not. Write, schmite, who's got time to do that when I'm in a whirlwind of blah-blah to develop my web presence? *snicker* Can't believe I wrote that.
Okay, *snap, crackle, and pop* went the whip from the muse and I'm slinking off the wifi to get some writing done.
Take care and happy blogging!
~EK
Elijana Kindel said…
Rachel--just reading your comment is giving me hope. You just don't know... okay, well maybe you do. ;o) But I do so love this tendril of hope that's warming up my heart right about now.
Thank you!
~EK
Elijana Kindel said…
Roni--High five and welcome to the pre-pubbed club! Ooooh, I'm liking the evil twin handle it idea. Where can I get me one of them? And can I get the evil twin to do housework, too? ;o)
Good luck on getting your blog up and running--and let us know when it is, so we can come visit!
~EK (who wants to be dictator of the unknown world so she can conquer that fear of the unknown... ;o)
Robyn Johnson said…
Oh how I feel this same pain. I too am pre-pubbed and am also trying to build a platform. I feel I don't really have much to contribute at this point. But, as pointed out to me by some very savvy people, it's about branding yourself at this time of the game.
Elijana Kindel said…
Robyn, I think you've got something here and you were right (IMHO) to listen to those savvy peeps of yours. Branding yourself. That's an important thing. If I were to put myself in the role of an editor or agent, I imagine the first thing I would want to know (besides the fact that this person is an awesome story teller with a natural gift) is... can I work with them? Would our personalities click or clash? How well do they deal with the comments on their blog? How do they behave in twitter-dom? Is this person-potential client or writer for a publisher-a person who will become an asset rather than an embarrassment to the group? And to what degree can we mold them in to a romance novel industry icon? Because, isn't that the name of the game? That all editors and agents are somewhere, deep down or right on the surface, looking for the next greatest blockbuster seller out there?
Hmmm, inquiring minds wanna know. ;o) LOL
Hey, thanks for the thought provoking comment! I absolutely love them--all of them. And now I'm off to get back to work on the WIP.
Take care!
~EK
There is no one right way and promo drives me insane. It never stops and cuts into writing time in a major way. If there's a solution or an alternative to social networking, I haven't found it.
Elijana Kindel said…
The WIP is in good shape and I'm about to head out the door to get the youngin' from school, but before I do...
Julia, Well said! The cutting in to writing time is a line that I had to draw in concrete. In this business of mine, the writing comes first. End of my internal argument. LOL.
Good luck with your writing and away I go...zoom, zoom, zoom.
~EK
Carla Richards said…
You have brought up a topic that's been on my mind. Pre-pubbed authors might write across many genres. There seems like an awful lot of room for brand confusion.
How do we tailor a web, blog, twitter, etc. when we might write both a romance novel and a children's picture book? and who knows which one will sell first??

Popular Posts