When in doubt, what would Xena do?

I gotta say that I love my job. I just finished doing some research for the current WIP. What type of research? Only the best type in the whole world... watching one of my favorite television shows of all time. Xena Warrior Princess. Aiiiyayayayayayayay---- *choke, cough, sputter*

Okay, so maybe I'm not that great at her battle cry, but it sure was fun to revisit Xena land. Why would I have done that and what does doing that have to do with me and writing the current WIP?

Everything and nothing.

The new WIP isn't based in a Xena like world, but has its roots in a Xena-Hercules type of world. You know the type.  It's where the gods and goddess of the old world are petty and jealous and they have no problem with descending to the mortal realm and walking amongst us humans.  The type where the ancient deities have no moral issue with moving those humans around like chess pieces. Even though in my world there are rules that prevent the gods and goddesses from stepping out of line, but hey... what fun is it to be a primordial god/goddess, if you can't break the rules every once in a while?

But more important than that... I loved the Xena series for the characters. Yeah sometimes there were cheezy lines and campy situations, but scratch under than thin veneer of comedy and *surprise!* you've found yourself a golden nugget of a character who clicks with you.  Okay, maybe the characters don't click for you, but they do for me and my warped sense of... well, everything.

Today, I watched two episodes. One from Hercules (The Gauntlet) and the first episode of Xena (Sins of the Past). I call it research because I've been working on a character in the WOE world who has some deep issues like Xena. And every time I think of this character and their defining moment in their life... I kept seeing Xena walking the gauntlet in that Hercules episode.  Then I thought about how that gauntlet event affected my character and up popped Xena beginning her new journeys in her new world as a good guy starring in her own TV show.

After finishing both episodes, I can honestly say that my mind is swimming with ideas and possibilities. Which is cool. Now, the characters in my mind's eye are pulling it together and... ohmigoodness, any other writer's out there besides me love that feeling when the characters and their state of mind, essence, and identity start to open up to you and you can feel them?  It's a beautiful feeling. One that I don't want to lose, but thanks to my new found purchase of Xena Season 1... I'm thinking that I won't have to.  Because the next time I'm in doubt of my character connection... I think I'll just ask Xena instead. ;o)

Take care and happy writing!
~EK

Comments

Ella Gray said…
This post made my day because I'm still a huge Xena fan and the show sort of influenced my current WIP as well. Mine focuses more on the complicated dynamics of a particular friendship and every time I need inspiration, I think of that show. And I have a huge crush on Bruce Campbell. Cheers!
Elijana Kindel said…
Yay! I'm glad I could make your day! Do you have a favorite Season of it? I liked the ones with Callisto--the early ones. Wasn't as crazy about the later episodes.

Although it really is an awesome show--one that I can even watch and share with my kid. (Which seems to be a rarity these days--unless it's on the Disney channel and happens to be my favorite, Phineas and Ferb ;o)

And , honey, bless you on the Bruce Campbell reference. It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one. ;o) He made an awesome King of the Thieves, but honestly... he had me at Boom Stick. (LOL and now I can't stop thinking about shopping at S-Mart... lol)
Take care and good luck with your WIP!
~EK

Popular Posts