Which one are you: Hare or Tortoise?

I'll start off today's post (which is late.. bad me, bad me, but good me for making time to do it) by saying that I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.  Especially when it comes to planning and plotting world domination. No, not your world, but mine.

Right now, my world is chocked full of goodies that have everything to do with convincing me that strapping myself into an I-Love-Me jacket is the ultimate goal. Why? Because I'm on the road to hell--also known as starting up your self publishing career and writing career/business while juggling 24x7 mama duty.  And don't forget to walk the dog and feed the cat.

So no shit, there I was earlier in the week doing my homework for the rocking class I'm taking through an RWA chapter, when it occurred to me that... my career goals have shifted and I didn't update my main goal and priorities list and make my platform and build my web presence and did I tweet today? What's today's hashtag fest in tweetville? Did I get those 25 likes on the facebook page yet? Oh crap, 300 more emails just hit the inbox. And a facebook notification.  Great, but back to that web site building. I've got to finish updating it.  Oh no one of those emails is for a mundane job--quick update to the resume and... crud, the phone is ringing and what? I missed an appointment? But I thought we rescheduled that to Thursday, but it was to Tuesday? *insert sound of screeching tires*

WTF am I doing?

This is sooo not me. I'm usually an organized gal in the midst of chaos, but this... this is freaking insane!

So what did I do? What I do whenever I get myself into a jam.  Smote my forehead (okay so it was more like a pop upside the head, but you get the point) then promptly parked my butt in the nearest, comfy chair to ask myself...

"Self, which one won the race? The hare or the tortoise?"
"The tortoise."
"Then why are you trying to be the hare?"
"Because... because I'm an overzealous idiot."

So there you have it. Me admitting to myself that I spent this week being an overzealous idiot and spread myself a wee (that's an understatement) bit too thin.  But I will tell you this... I'm darn glad I had this week, because now I've got an excellent idea of just exactly what my limitations are.  Not to mention more focus on the priorities.

And on that note... I'm pulling a tortoise routine, skipping the emails for the night, and heading back off to where I want to be tonight and that is the next phase of the website build.

Take care, everyone, have a great weekend and we'll catch you on the flip side.
~EK, resident tortoise




 

Comments

Magda Alexander said…
Elijana, you crack me up! I feel your pain, sister. Except for the mommy 24x7 duty, I'm going through the same thing.
Anonymous said…
Hi Elijana, your site looks gorgeous! You must be finding some time in your busy life. Great job! Nobody tells you when you start this crazy writing idea about the 10,000 other things you need to do! Keep it up!
Ciara said…
Your sight is gorgeous! Love it! I'm just catching up on email from this week and saw your post on Savvy. I liked your fan page also. :)
Elijana Kindel said…
Sorry for the delay in my responses, my friends! The tortoise in rejoicing in the first bit of quiet time I've had in almost 2 weeks! So yeah, today is the first day back to school for the kidlet. ;o)

Magda--see me offering a knuckle tap to activate our wonder twin powers... it's freaking insane riding and driving this indie author car, isn't it? I'm loving it, but the bugger can careen out of control so fast that it makes my head spin! Thank goodness for sites like Savvy Authors and their Summer Symposium that offer webinars on how to build that business plan to keep me grounded in reality and on the path to sucessful author-dom. Unfortunately, SASS also unlocked my inner workshop hoho... ah well, it's the price I'll gladly pay to be a happy writer. (LOL)

Jessica--Thanks! Glad you like the site! It's been YEARS since I did ANY tagging and I'd forgotten how much I enjoy doing the web design schtuff. Would you believe that playing with the html for the site was like sinfully relaxing chocolate for my left brain? I'd never imagined I'd enjoy it as much as I did. LOL--and yeah, next up on my list of rewards is to check out this free web tool that Microsoft has to design open source websites. Of course, I think this is also a heavy indicator that I'm one step away from crazy-ville... but hey, at least I'll be happy and productive as a writer. ;o)

Ciara--Thanks! Glad you like the site! I keep debating on the black on black website thing. It bothers some folks, but not others. So I might redesign it to make it more friendly--or I might leave it as it. Honestly, the black background with white font is how I set up word for me... you know to get rid of that glaring, empty white page syndrome. LOL, what can I say? I'm a bit odd in my writing ways. ;o)

Take care, my friends, and happy writing!
~Elijana

Popular Posts