World Domination (that's My world, not Yours) and Business Plans

Last night I attended an incredibly well put together webinar at Savvy Authors and their Summer Symposium.

The presentation was about building a Business Plan for Authors and was presented by the lovely and talented, Mary K. Wilson (of Jupiter Gardens Press and Pink Petal Books). I won't go into explicit detail on Ms. Wilson's presentation, because honestly I believe it's something that needs to be experienced in order to fully appreciate what she put together.  But I will say that the way she presented the information and broke down preparing a business plan into 6 parts really (REALLY) spoke to my naturally left-brained inclined self.

And revived (yet again) my desire for world domination (again, my world, not yours).

Brace yourselves, because now I'm about to tell you why the presentation appealed to me.

As I mentioned in my last post, I recently went through the 'which one am I: hare or tortoise?' exercise.  I decided I'm the tortoise (Hooray and there was much rejoicing!). To be precise (and to appease my inner research scientist): I strive to be the tortoise, but have a tendency to act like a hare hyped up on super potent caffeine (if I'm not paying attention and operating without a plan of action).

My obnoxious tendency to do the hare routine is a direct result of how my brain is hard wired.  I'm left brained (and I fully embrace logic--granted it may be my logic and not yours, but it has to be logical)--add to that that I also have a partially photographic memory, am completely visual, my brain is 98.9% of the time switched to the on and thinking position, and you have me always thinking, plotting, and planning on whatever topic I allow to get lodged in the #1 spot in my conscious mind.  I know (and have known for years) that my key to success and productivity has everything to do with making lists, then actively pursuing the items on the list.  The lists give me structure and order; ergo, lists keep me on the path and moving forward (rather than backwards, sideways, up, and down like a spastic hare).

Enter Ms. Wilson's presentation and see me considering a well thought out, organized list that has short term and long reaching goals and strategies.... oooooh, look I just got goosebumps because I used the word strategies--la, I'm such an aries. ;o)  Just imagine the power I could ignite within myself with a concise, well laid out plan of attack.  Ohmiword... and it's a plan that was presented in simple words that didn't require an MBA to figure out... oh yeah, I can do that.  I sure can. And once I do... I'll be one step closer to mastering my strategy for my world domination.

Yes, I know I rambled and probably made very little sense in this post.  But my take home message for the day is this... if you're an indie author (or a budding entrepreneur in any business) and you've struggled with the hare-tortoise ratio... take the time to step back and create your battle strategy.  Set aside the time to invest in writing a business plan.  Because even though it may sound like it's hard or appear like a waste of time that you could better use writing your next book, it's actually one of the best things you can do for yourself.

And who knows, it might just increase your productivity more than you ever imagined.

Until next time...
~Elijana

Comments

Popular Posts